Originally opened in 1914, this Art-deco power plant provided great parts of Budapest with electricity until shut down after the fall of the Soviet state.

A technological marvel at the time, it stands now abandoned and closed off, only opened for the occasional visit.

The center-piece of the plant is this control center, featuring an impressive glass ceiling spanning the entirety of the room. The ceiling designed by architects Kálmán Reichl and Virgil Borbíro and added in 1927.

Since its closing the Kelenföld power station has been used in many movies and TV-series as its peculiar color-palette and design lends itself to a vast number of genres from Steampunk to Sci-fi.

 

A huge thanks goes out to the kind people at Hosszulepes for the access and their kind assistance.